Re: UK select committee response to government on OA

From: Sally Morris <chief-exec_at_alpsp.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 16:28:02 -0000

Apologies for cross-posting, but the misunderstandings should be corrected

Peter Suber has misread the report. It is the Government's response to the
Committee (plus the OFT's response), not the other way round. The comments
in bold (which are all that Peter quotes) are the substantive points in the
Committee's previous response, and are included in order that the Government
can give its response point by point. The Government has not changed its
position, but has simply reiterated it.

Stevan Harnad also misreads it. There is no Government 'polemic' whatever
in the report; the Government focuses on issues such as the treatment of
the JISC response, and the author-pays model of OA, because those are the
points in the Committee's response which they are addressing.

The Guardian columnist Richard Wray misinterpreted even more egregiously, in
seeing a shift in Government policy towards OA publishing! As I mentioned
above, the Government view is simply reiterated.

Moral - read carefully for yourself!

Sally

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Phone: +44 (0)1903 871686 Fax: +44 (0)1903 871457
E-mail: chief-exec_at_alpsp.org
ALPSP Website http://www.alpsp.org

ALPSP Learned Journals Collection (in partnership with Swets)
awarded Best STM Information Product for 2004
(http://www.alpsp.org/ALJC/default.htm)