Re: Start of the DOAR project

From: Bill Hubbard <Bill.Hubbard_at_NOTTINGHAM.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:32:05 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

I notice that Stevan Harnad has responded to the start of the Directory of Open Access Repositories with a posting :

><SNIP>
>Is it really best for OA progress to keep independently re-inventing the
>wheel, rather than building on what we already have?

This criticism is a little premature - the Directory of Open Access Repositories will indeed build on what we have.

The Press Release for the project does say this quite explicitly -
"Much valuable work has already been done in listing repositories in different countries and the project will build on this existing work. "

The work of the resource that Stevan Harnad mentions ( http://archives.eprints.org/eprints.php ), along with other valuable work elsewhere, informed discussions for the basis of the DOAR project and the directions in which it will develop.

Regards,

Bill

--
Bill Hubbard