Re: Bean Counting

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_LIU.EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:04:29 -0500

Dear Stevan,

The great strength of OA as you have always propounded it is that it deals with the needs of the
reader/author in smaller schools as well, the ones that cannot afford all the subscriptions.
The same is true when those people are authors. Just as one does not want to put handicaps in the
way of their reading, one does not want to add further difficulties to their publishing.

You will recall the early finding of bibiometrics that the majority of people who publish
have published just once. (And similiarly along the Zipf distribution).

I would perhaps have thought as you do if my only experience had been universities like
Princeton and Berkeley and Montreal and their European equivalents.
Most academics and most colleges and universities are not in this position.
For most of the departments
at many places I know (I do not want to mention names, as it might be taken wrong) the
requirement is 1 or 2 or 3 papers in refereed journals of any sort for tenure, or for subsequent promotion.
Of course more subtle measures are avaolable and can be used; the more sophisticated
schools use them . But we are dealing with reality here.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman_at_liu.edu