the single most important Post-Gutenberg distinction

From: adam hodgkin <adam.hodgkin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:54:40 +0000

Stevan

I expect to reply to the list on some of the substantive points about
'impact' in your rebuttal. But a few comments which are for your
consideration about this claim:

(quote from Harnad)
The difference between give-away and non-give-away work is the single
most important Post-Gutenberg distinction. Without it, one hasn't a hope
of understanding OA:

    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm#1.1

(end of quote)

First, thanks for pointing me at the 'resolution' piece. I may have
skimmed it before but it was a while ago, and it covers a lot of
interesting terrain.

Second, your claim 'The difference between give-away and non-give-away
work is the single
most important Post-Gutenberg distinction'. is grandiloquent, rather
loose and surely false unless very carefully qualified. The MOST
important post-Gutenberg distinction? For what purpose? Only on a very
narrow focus in a very special context could this possibly be true. I
take it you mean post-Gutenberg-era (not post-Gutenberg), and surely
we can think of many more important distinctions such as:
referred/referring, cited/not-cited, true/false, relative/absolute,
derivative/new, transient/archival etc

Third, I missed some of the support for your argument in the piece to
which you refer me through a number of bad links in the passage. There
are three bad links in the section to which you refer me, their lack
of reference detracts from the clarity of the argument.

Fourth, I wonder if you should more clearly specify what you mean by '
bulk of the written literature' (bad link). In the post-Gutenberg era
a lot of writing (eg web pages, grey literature, email to lists,
blogs etc) is not refereed but by common understanding it is
literature and it is also author-giveaway; and so refereed
scholarly/scientific research publishing is not SO anomalous as you
suggest with respect to the bulk-of-the-written-literature in the
post-G-era. I suspect that whatever the bad link refers to is already
becoming the 'minority' case in the post-G era.

Finally, I was of course aware of the relevance of the distinction
between 'give-away and non-give-away' to a discussion of OA which is
why I mentioned it, but I suggest that there is also a distinction
between 'give-away and non-give-away' authorship, and 'give-away and
non-give-away' works.

Adam