Re: Bethesda statement on open access publishing

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_LIU.EDU>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:16:24 -0500

Stevan,

I never thought that I would be suggesting that you are becoming
out of date. I think it due to your reliance on defintions and nomenclature.

The different types of dissemination you distinguish are the traditional types,
but they no longer match reality. Calling a not yet submitted article "unpublished"
made sense if you were referring to a half-dozen carbon copies sent to close associates.
It does not make sense when it refers to material posted in a repository. Such material
is published in reality no matter what the author chooses to call it:
It can be found by the public, it can can be read by the public, and
the author has no actual control over its further dissemination or use (though there may be
legal sanctions--since even the copyright law treats it as published. )

What remains is the literally academic distinction you mention:
it cannot be listed on one's academic CV as "published."
This is now as archaic as the structure of the academic world itself. The acceptance
by any peer-reviewed journal no matter how low the quality, and then the release under such imprint,
does ransform it for the sake of the CV, but in no other sense.
It does not make bad work better; it does not certify quality.

The author and the work itself define the quality: people will read (or not read) what you write,
"published" or "unpublished," as its quality and nature can be predicted. They will cite it
(or not cite it) as they find it valuable, or not. The certificate of a good
 journal is a guide to the beginner, and perhaps a help to the beginning author. An absolute beginner
will confuse the certificate of a good journal with the certificate of any journal that pretends to be
peer reviewed, as one sees among first year students-- and under-qualified academic administrators.

The danger of depending upon nomenclature is that one can easily think that
it defines the limits of possibility. The traditional sciences recognize both the addition of new
species, and the reclassification of the old.

I urge you to remain a professional scientist, not a professional academic.
.
Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University