Re: Central versus institutional self-archiving

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:15:26 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Subbiah Arunachalam wrote:

> Friends, especially friends in India:
>
> Here is a very useful exchange. Can we in India think of a centralised
> archive similar to the one run by CCSD in France for all research councils
> and departments of the Central Government (CSIR, ICAR, DAE, Dept of Space,
> ICMR, etc.)? Will it be better than each individual laboratory having its
> own archive in the long run? I welcome your views.

Arun, I'm afraid you may have misunderstood my message. The point
was that unless a country already has a national, centralised research
mega-institution distributed all over the country, as France does (CNRS),
a national central archive is not a very practical proposition.

In most countries, research institutions are independent local entities
(mainly Universities or Labs). National research councils may fund their
research, to be sure, but the entity that *provides* the research is the
local institution, and it is that local institution that has the direct
stake in maximising the usage and impact of its own research output by
maximising its visibility and accessibility.

The best way research councils and government departments can help is by
mandating that all funded research must be self-archived (and providing the
funds to do so, if/when they are needed); further providing a central
OAI-compliant archive (for those researchers whose local institutions
cannot for some reason provide a local institutional one of their own)
would be useful too. But the lion's share of the initiative for providing,
monitoring and maintaining open access to their own local research output
must come from the local research-provider institutions. OA is rather like
the Internet itself in that respect.

Please see the study of Swan et al., which analyses this matter in
some depth:

          Swan, Alma and Needham, Paul and Probets, Steve and Muir,
          Adrienne and O'Brien, Ann and Oppenheim, Charles and Hardy,
          Rachel and Rowland, Fytton (2005) Delivery, Management and
          Access Model for E-prints and Open Access Journals within
          Further and Higher Education. JISC Report.
          http://cogprints.org/4122/

          Swan, Alma and Needham, Paul and Probets, Steve and Muir,
          Adrienne and Oppenheim, Charles and O'Brien, Ann and Hardy,
          Rachel and Rowland, Fytton and Brown, Sheridan (2005) Developing
          a model for e-prints and open access journal content in UK
          further and higher education. Learned Publishing.
          http://cogprints.org/4120/

Stevan Harnad