Re: Demoprints: Seeing/Doing the Keystrokes is Believing/Knowing

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:26:51 +0100

Below is a message from Chris Gutteridge. Demoprints is currently
being ovrehauled, but the source of the problem of back-logged deposits
is now clear (and it should have been made clear to depositors):

    http://demoprints.eprints.org/

In a normal institutional archive, after an item is deposited, it
is first checked (by someone other than the depositor) to make sure the
metadata are ok and the full-text is present and readable, and only then
are they cleared for deposit (and then they appear).

In demoprints, it is the depositor himself who does this checked!
(So the back-logged depositors, not knowing this, because the
documentation was unclear, never actually checked their deposits and
cleared them from the buffer so they could appear. (That is what I just
now did for the 49 backlogged items.)

Helene Bosc, who is now very experienced in this, and is in fact conducting
workshops in France on how to deposit, has added some helpful feedback below.

SH