Re: What Provosts Need to Mandate

From: Alma Swan <a.swan_at_TALK21.COM>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 17:58:46 +0100

> (4) Author reports, from Swan & Brown's two international,
> cross-disciplinary surveys, that they are busy, overloaded, and
> will only self-archive if/when they are required to do so by the
> employers and/or funders, but if they are so required, 79% report
> they will do it WILLINGLY, 17% that they will do it reluctantly,
> and only 4% that they will not do it.

I can now report that I have completed the data analysis for the latest
survey on self-archiving and the results on this issue of mandating are as
follows:

Percentage of authors who would willingly self-archive if their employer or
funder required them to do so = 81%
Percentage who would do so reluctantly = 13%
Percentage who would not self-archive, even with a mandate = 5%

The 'most willing' country is the USA, where 88% of authors would
self-archive willingly under a mandate and a further 11% would self-archive
reluctantly. The 'least willing' is China, where 58% would self-archive
willingly and 32% would do so reluctantly.

The report is now written and out with reviewers. It will be published by
JISC shortly.

Alma Swan
Key Perspectives Ltd
Truro, UK