Re: Green Party Green on Gold but not on Green

From: Jan Velterop <openaccess_at_BTINTERNET.COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:18:52 +0100

Not sure if the wordy discussion of the last few days brings open
access any closer if we don't understand a few basics (and perhaps
try to adhere to Pythagoras' wisdom: "Do not say a little in many
words; say a great deal in a few"?).

1. Researchers do not 'give away' their articles, certainly not to
publishers, without anything in return. They seek something in
exchange: recognition and impact: the 'brownie points' they need for
their careers. These things do not just come from making their
articles visible, but to a large degree from citations and the
'label' that is the journal title attached to their article. Wanting
something in return makes it a trade, commerce. Authors do not
'give'; they 'pay' for what they want in return, either with
exclusive rights (to be converted by the publisher into money), or
with money. They could, of course, 'give' their work away, to the
world. They don't need journals for that. But they won't get the
'brownie points' without peer-reviewed journals.

2. "Being required to give away" is in conflict with being required
to publish in a peer-reviewed journal, as that implies a trade.
'Giving away' here is of the same nature as being required to 'give
away' money to the taxman. There are plenty of verbs that could
describe such a transaction, but 'to give away' isn't usually among
them.

3. Self-archiving can, of course, be a supplement to formally
published articles. Rather in the way that a soup-kitchen is a
supplement to bakers, butchers and greengrocers, for those who can't
afford to buy food. These traders won't object to a soup kitchen and
may even donate their leftover loaves, pig-trotters and kale. But
don't ask them to lend their quality reputation, their brand, to the
soup kitchen's food. Self-archiving could be a tool to put pressure
on publishers to provide open access. But there is no denying that
there is the potential that it substitutes publishing when - not if -
it gets organised properly and offers the material with journal
'labels' attached. Journals (i.e. their publishers and organisers of
peer-review) will vanish. Unless they make the transition to viable
publishing models that make open access possible. The Green Party
seems to understand that, but so did the HoC S&T Committee and the
RCUK, if one reads their reports in full, and many others.

Jan Velterop