Re: The True Cost of the Essentials (Implementing Peer Review)

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:29:06 +0100

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Chuck Hamaker has asked me to forward his posting,
below, but first some prior pertinent AmSci threads on the very same
topic. As you will see, we are still retreading ground we covered over
a half decade ago, this time in connection with Sally Morris's worries
about library cancellations. -- SH

    "Online Self-Archiving: Distinguishing the Optimal from the Optional"
    (Started May 11 1999)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0249.html

    "The True Cost of the Essentials (Implementing Peer Review)"
    (Started July 5 1999)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0304.html

    "Separating Quality-Control Service-Providing from Document-Providing"
    (Started November 30 1999)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0467.html

    "Distinguishing the Essentials from the Optional Add-Ons"
    (Started July 2001)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/1438.html

        "The medium-independent essential function of a journal is
        and always has been that of peer-review service-provider,
        certifying the outcome of the peer-review, if successful,
        with the journal-name and associated track-record for quality
        (a "metadata" tag). The rest is and always has been just the
        arbitrary features of the storage and dissemination medium
        (which was for long print-on-paper).

             http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm#3.3
             http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Tp/resolution.htm

        "This essential quality-control/certification function will remain
        the essential function of journals regardless of medium-change
        or cost-recovery model change."

         https://mx2.arl.org/Lists/SPARC-OAForum/Message/2119.html