Re: public support of journals

From: (wrong string) édon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 14:41:30 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Dear Jan,

Indeed, you have missed something.

After our long discussion, Stevan and I, support was defined as follows:

1. Direct transfer of funds to a journal through some governmental or
para-governmental body (e.g. a Council, a publicly supported university,
etc.)in the form of direct subsidies (e.g. the 140+ journals directly
supported by the Social Science and Humanities Research council of
Canada);

2 Indirect support, i.e. free access to space, equipment and work time
within a publicly supported institution (King and Tenopir mention this
as hidden form of publishing support and some publishers have even
deemed it "unfair" competition...

Stevan raised the very point you mentioned in yet another attempt brush
aside as marginal or irrelevant the possibility of mandating certain
categories of publicly-supported journals to OA. I have made it clear in
my response that I keep the form of "support" you mention out of the
discussion: it really relates to the seller-customer relationship. I
would also include in this non-public support the direct transfer of
publishing fees (instead of a subscription fee) - e.g. the $3,000 fee
practised your new employer.

My point was *not* to try showing that commercial journals are publicly
supported; my point was to demonstrate that, in many countries, a (often
overwhelming) majority of journals are supported by public subsidies,
either directly or indirectly. Because of this, I argue they can be
mandated by governments to go OA. Incidentally, Stevan agreed with this
proposition (while still maintaining that it touched only a small number
of largely irrelevant or inferior journals).

--
Dr. Jean-Claude Guédon
Dept. of Comparative Literature
University of Montreal
PO Box 6128, Downtown Branch
Montreal, QC H3C 3J7
Canada
    [ Part 2, "This is a digitally signed message part"  ]
    [ Application/PGP-SIGNATURE  196bytes. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]