Re: public support of journals

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <subbiah_a_at_YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:01:21 +0100

Dear Jean Claude:

Here are some facts about the Indian situation. All
journals published by the Indian National Science
Academy and the Indian Academy of Sciences are now OA.
Both these Academies receives grants from the
Government of India (through the Department of Science
and Technology). The Council of Scientific &
Industrial Research publishes about a dozen journals
from its NISCAIR office in New Delhi. As far as I know
none of them is open access and in fact all of them
are print journals with a subscription price.

A private firm called MedKnow Publications undertakes
to publish medical journals, mostly owned by
professional societies. Right now they have more than
thirty OA titles (although the print version may have
a subscription price). The National Informatics
Centre, another Government Department, manages the
Indian Medlars Centre. This centre also publishes more
than thirty OA journals (not owned by them). Besides,
NIC-Indian Medlars Centre has set up an archive for
full text biomedical research papers and it has more
than 600 papers. But the best known Indian archive is
the one at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
It has more than 2,000 papers. The National Chemical
Laboratory in Pune has a repository, but they are
concentrating on uploading Ph D theses. The National
Institute of Technology at Rourkela has an archive
with about 150 papers.

For a vast country, what we have achieved so far is
miniscule. Close to 75% of research is funded by the
Central (Federal) Government in Delhi, and yet most
Indian research papers are not easily accessible to
other Indian researchers. Open archiving is perhaps
the best solution and the government departments that
fund research have not yet come forward to mandate
self-archiving. It is likely that the University
Grants Commission which kind of oversees the
universities may come up with an OA policy soon.

Regards.

Arun

--- Jean-Claude Guédon