Re: Australian Public Funding of Journals

From: Brian Lynch <blynch_at_stfx.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:10:30 -0300

Arthur
With respect, you are "out to lunch" in your statement about CSIRO
below

 How about CSIRO. Is it purely commercial?

 No it draws on both public and commercial funds, but it only publishes
in-house serials, with no real scholarly standing.

See the following from their home page:

CSIRO PUBLISHING

CSIRO PUBLISHING operates as an independent science and technology
publisher with a global reputation for quality products and services. Our
internationally recognised publishing programme covers a wide range of
scientific disciplines, including agriculture, the plant and animal
sciences, and environmental management.

Our product range includes journals, books, magazines and CD-ROMs. We
publish content in print and online, and our editorial standards and
production methods are at the forefront of e-publishing standards. We are
also able to offer the services of our award-winning multimedia group to
external clients.

CSIRO PUBLISHING is an autonomous business unit within Australia´s
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, CSIRO.

The Australian Journal of Chemistry [AJC] has an excellent international
reputation!

Brian Lynch
[a sometime author of papers in AJC in the 50s and 60s]

Brian M. Lynch, M. Sc., Ph.D. [Melbourne], FCIC
Senior Research Professor
Department of Chemistry, St. Francis Xavier University
Antigonish, Nova Scotia B2G 2W5, Canada
Tel: 902-867-3992 [office]; 902-867-0450 [cellphone: preferred]
Fax: 902-867-2414

Arthur Sale wrote:

 Jean-Claude

Best wishes for your Brazil trip. I've interspersed replies to your recent
reply to a reply to ...

Arthur Sale
Professor of Computing (Research)
University of Tasmania

 How about CSIRO. Is it purely commercial?

 No it draws on both public and commercial funds, but it only publishes
in-house serials, with no real scholarly standing. So does the telco Telstra
(49% in private ownership, 51% government, soon to change to 100:0%).