Re: Impact and language

From: Matthew Cockerill <matt_at_BIOMEDCENTRAL.COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:27:25 +0100

I'm not sure in what scenarios translating a research article would be 'against an author's implicit will', although in a traditional publishing model, it would certainly require explicit permission from the publisher or author, which may well be unforthcoming or impractical to obtain.

Whereas, for research published under a creative commons license (as used by BioMed Central and PLoS), the universal license granted by the author explicitly allows the creation of derivative works such as translations as long as the derivative work (translation) correctly attributes the original version.

This is actually a major benefit of open access for the global communication of research findings, and I believe that several initiatives are currently underway to translate particular subsets of CC-licensed content from OA publishers into local languages.

Matt
==
Matthew Cockerill, Ph.D.
Publisher