Re: Further precisions on the Finnish situation

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:30:28 +1100

Andrew

Sorry Andrew, you did misunderstand me. I&#8217;ll rephrase the
statement: &#8220;Putting aside the voluntary and free help that any
university or professional society anywhere in the world provides to the
scholarly publishing process, my conclusion is that in Finland there may
be no journals subsidized by public funds&#8221;.

Since the point of this discussion is supposedly to discover what direct
stakes national governments have in journal publishing, the sort of
example you give is not relevant. *However, if we regarded such instances
as 'subsidy', then this whole exercise is pointless.* Exactly 100% of all
scholarly journals in the world are subsidized.

What Jean-Claude is looking for is instances of cash subsidies from
public money - transfers of real money from a national government to
subsidize a journal. *And this is not the way to go about it, even if the
data were useful for something. The results are simply too liable to
misinterpretation.*

So in summary -

·         Your first example is simply the voluntary provision of time by
the Professor, though we could perhaps wonder about degree of freedom the
secretary has in freely giving his/her services. We all do this.
I&#8217;m doing it now.

·         The second involves no &#8216;public money&#8217; - some funds
contributed by members of the society go to support their journal. There
are many instances of similar arrangements.

Arthur