Re: Effects of OA *publishing* on OA *publishing*: Peter/Paul Redux

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:21:01 +0100

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Don Odom wrote:

> Dear Stevan,
> Why not just say simply that OA _archiving_ is not the same as OA _publishing_?

That distinction has been there ever since the word "Open Access" was coined:
say the BOAI definition of BOAI-1 (OA self-archiving) and BOAI-2 (OA journal-publishing).

Best not to leave out the "self" because it is critical that the
author is archiving his *own* published journal articles, rather than
the publisher doing it for him (OA publishing). Both require online
"archiving," but only in self-archiving does the author do it -- as a
supplement to publishing in a journal, not a substitute for it.

(Also, stand-alone "archiving" is often misinterpreted as a preservation
function rather than the immediate access-provision function OA self-archiving
is meant to be.)

> The critical difference here in my mind that with OA archiving one archives
> for _oneself_ while with OA publishing one publishes for _others_.

Correct.

> With the former no intention exists to capture the costs of anything - the
> preparation, the peer review, the posting, etc.

Correct. Nor to derive any revenue from it: The publisher continues to be the
one who performs the service and receives the revenue for it. The author simply
supplements the toll access with free access to his own version for would-be users who
cannot afford the toll version.

> With the latter, there is
> the clear intent to capture the costs either on the front end (from the
> authors) or the back end (from the subscribers).

Correct.

> Perhaps by presenting this difference in lowest common denominator terms the
> message might sink in?!

Ah dear Don, if you only knew how often it *has* been presented in
those very |lowest common denominator terms" yet it continues to be
misunderstood -- unwittingly by most, wilfully by some...

The fact that this distinction is striking you, in October 2005, as if it were somehow a
new revelation (rather than something that has been said over and over and over again for
years now) is a symptom of how hard it has been to get this monumentally trivial and
transparent point across. It will require future psycho-historians to diagnose why it took
so very long for the token to drop...

Chrs, Stevan