Re: Publish OA if you can - self-archive either way

From: Velterop, Jan Springer UK <Jan.Velterop_at_SPRINGER-SBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:58:21 +0200

It is always good to understand the mechanism behind observations and
evidence.

It would be extemely helpful if librarians lurking on this list (assuming
there are) could explain why they are using their precious budgets to buy
journals that strictlly they don't need for the content anymore (such as
in physics), how they justify that, and why they intend continuing it in
the future..

A clear and plausible answer could sway the discussion, and allay any
fears there might be amongst some publishers. It could even save them the
trouble to look for ways to provide open access publishing (except that
the OA publishers might start worrying).

Jan