Re: Guide juridique CNRS

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:11:16 +0000

The CNRS Guide is an excellent, well-documented, well-written,
well-thought-out guide to the legal aspects of self-archiving. I strongly
urge that it be translated also into English and adapted for use by
other institutions.

    http://publicnrs.inist.fr/IMG/pdf/guide_bis_juridique_publiCNRS.pdf

The only point I would suggest revising is point 4. (The optimal default
policy is to self-archive in all cases, and to consider publisher
removal-requests, if/when received, on a case-by-case basis. This is
simpler than explicitly negotiating self-archiving rights in advance.)

Especially useful in the CNRS guide is the following passage (highly
pertinent to the support of the already over-cautious RCUK proposed
policy):

    "Nous vous rappelons que vous détenez toujours le droit de déposer une
    notice bibliographique dans HAL, complétée du numéro DOI du document,
    et de déposer le plein texte d'un document en mode caché."

(You can *always* deposit the metadata plus text, with the metadata set
to Open Access [OA] and the full-text set to institution-internal [IA]
access. Then of course those would-be users webwide who try to access
the full text on the basis of the metadata [author, title, joutnal, date,
abstract, etc.] and hit an "IA" barrier can simply email the author for
a copy of the eprint.)

    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/20-guid.html
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/berlin3-harnad.ppt

It would also be more useful if, in addition to linking the Romeo/SHERPA
directory of publishers' self-archiving policies (which indexes the
policies in terms of the 126 publishers registered to date), the CNRS
guide also linked the Romeo/Eprints version of this directory (which
indexes the policies in terms of the 8630 individual journals registered
to date): http://romeo.eprints.org/

Stevan Harnad