Poynder on target yet again

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:22:47 +0000

Cynics will no doubt point out (with some justification) that there
is a goodly dose of parti pris in this endorsement, but I do think
that Richard Poynder (with whom I do not entirely agree on all points)
is once again spot-on point. A masterly analysis and synthesis of the
current state of play surrounding the RCUK policy proposal, the intense
publisher lobbying, and DTI:

    STRUGGLING WITH AGNOSIA
    Richard Poynder
    Open and Shut
    Tuesay November 25 2005
    http://poynder.blogspot.com/2005/11/struggling-with-agnosia.html

Stevan Harnad

P.S. Our point of disagreement is that Richard infers that the DTI is
very heavily engaged in the process and its outcome, whereas I believe
they are largely hands-off, letting the RCUK sort it out, asking only
that the RCUK give the expressed views of all interested parties due
consideration (which they are doing, at great waste of time, but, one
hopes, toward an imminent felicitous outcome for research, researchers
and their institutions, who are, after all, the RCUK's primary constituency).