(no subject)

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:47:02 +1100

I am unsure that Stevan is completely safe on point (1). Theses often
contain third party copyright material which the authors have inserted
knowing the thesis will not be "published". Making it into an OA ETD changes
the situation and requires third party copyright permission.

There are two easy solutions: (a) the thesis author gets the permissions, or
(b) the thesis is segmented into several files, most of which are OA but the
restricted bits are IA. Just like hiding culturally sensitive (for example
indigenous people's) material selectively in theses.

Arthur Sale

Behalf Of Stevan Harnad