Re: What happens if this paper has been posted to an institutional repository?

From: Heather Morrison <heatherm_at_ELN.BC.CA>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:31:21 -0800

hi Barry -

This is indeed an interesting problem, however I would disagree that
it is "significant" - in fact, this is yet another area where open
access should facilitate fixing problems, rather than creating them.

Picture, for example, the print subscription journal, and trying to
make sure that anyone who has a copy (or made a photocopy) is
appropriately notified that the paper has been retracted.

Then picture a good search by title or author for all open access
copies of an article. It should be obvious that these will be much
easier to track down than either paper copies, or toll-access
electronic copies.

As for copies in institutional repositories, it seems rather obvious
that the authors whose permission was sought to retract the document
would take responsibility for notifying their institutional
repository. Just in case someone misses this step - all that is
needed to double-check is an OAIster or google search.

Many thanks for bringing forth yet another open access opportunity -
which at first glance appeared to be a "problem".

Heather Morrison