Re: Learning from the successful OA IRs

From: Joanne Yeomans <Joanne.Yeomans_at_CERN.CH>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:01:48 +0100

Hi Stevan,

I'd like to add my opinions on your 6 points:

Point 3 perhaps doesn't need to be as narrow as 'impact incentives' but
just incentives to use and rely on the database whether that be for
creating your own list of publications or for doing a more general bib
search. Although impact incentives are an excellent example of how this
might work, they are just one example and not necessarily essential from
the start - there simply needs to be some incentive to rely on the
system for something and not just be a black hole where authors send
their documents never to be seen by them again.

Point 4 (or a new point) I would also add needs to be someone or some
people who can also look out for sources (eg authors web sites, other
repositories, even hard copy archives of older papers) that contain
papers that are relevant to your institution and look at ways to add
those either manually or automatically.

For example, we download a lot of our full text direct from arXiv..an
easy way to add content and avoids having to get authors to deposit in
both repositories. We are also about to start downloading full text
papers direct from APS who have given permission to put their published
versions of our own papers in our own archive.

I think without this kind of activity we'll always be a long way from
reaching 100%. And as we know, the more content you have the more people
are likely to add their own so it makes sense to spend some time on this
to help build your coverage. Whether for new repositories it should be a
job done right from the start or one that needs to be started once you
have squeezed all your individual uploaders I can't say.

Point 5 is currently ignored here at CERN as collection of preprints
happened before any publishers had given any thought to defining what
they allowed, but this might be something we have to pick up on in
future. However, I wholeheartedly agree that with so many authors having
concerns about this it makes sense to start out like this from the
beginning.

All these points seem to me to be excellent guidelines for starting up.

Regards,
Joanne

Joanne Yeomans
Office 3/1-012, DSU/SI Service
http://library.cern.ch/
Mail address:
Mailbox C27810
CERN CH 1211 Geneva 23
Switzerland
Tel: 70548 (externally dial +41 22 76 70548)