How many articles are free?

From: David Goodman <David.Goodman_at_LIU.EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 15:29:08 -0500

I _guess_ that Stevan's figures may be approximately
correct, but, outside of physics,
they are correct only by accident.

Stevan himself has acknowledged the the robot-based data
are at present not sufficiently accurate, in an technical report done
jointly with my group, and that he has signed,
eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/11689/
Robots are the only way to go for large scale counts,
but an improved one is necessary, and I believe Stevan's
group is now engaged in developing one.

None of these doubts about the
present extent detract in the least from the arguments for OA:
that when an author publishes, his intent is to disseminate his work
as widely as possible; that an author is also a reader, and wants
to be able to read the widest range of publications possible, that
an author is generally part of an educational or other
institutional body, which wants its work to be available as
widely as possible. that the author publishes in a journal,
which ought to want its articles distributed as widely as possible
and that an author is also a citizen, and thus
wants the widest possible public to know what s/he is doing.

The methods that Stevan primarily advocates are not the only road to OA,
and self-archiving is not necessarily the best method.
It is also possible for a journal to obtain sufficient
funding from institutional sources--and sometimes its authors--
that it can make all its articles available through OA, the
so-called "gold" method. Brazil has an honorable record in
this, as some of its journals have been gold for several
years already. See, for example http://www.bioline.org.br/

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University