Re: Question for publishers - Research Assessment Exercise 2008

From: Charles Oppenheim <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 18:25:30 +0000

I regret to say that Stevan is incorrect in some of his comments. For
previous RAEs, there WERE licensing arrangements put in place to permit
p/copies of articles to be passed to RAE panels. he is probably unaware of
this because no great publicity was associated with the arrangements that
were set up.

Licences are likewise needed this time around because the Universities do
not (in general) own the copyright in these items, so they are "dealing"
with someone else's (usually a publisher's) copyright material. Such
copying by Universities cannot be considered "fair dealing" as it is not
for one of the permitted purposes, and indeed is not permitted under any
other exception to copyright. So I am glad that PLS is arranging a licence
so that institutions can pass copies of items to RAE panels without risk of
copyright infringement.

In summary, I'm afraid the law does require licensing this time around, as
it did for the previous RAEs.

My understanding is that the RAE panels want pdfs rather than author
postprints because they need the reassurance that the thing they are
reading is identical to that which was published. Since the RAE is an
auditing exercise in which the onus is on the integrity of what is being
submitted, HECE no doubt feel that the pdf offers the necessary security.

Having said all that, things would have been so much simpler if, as Stevan
has argued, mandated self-archived articles with copyright owned by the
academic/HEI had been around years ago!

Charles