Poynder Again on Point on Institutional Repositories

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:02:49 +0000

Richard Poynder, the astute, eloquent chronicler of scholarly
communication has done it again, with a shrewd, original and insightful
review of the short history of the institutional repository movement.

http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/03/institutional-repositories-and-little.html

His conclusions are surprising, but (I think) very apt. His analysis,
among other things, go some way toward explaining why on earth a
"Repository Comparison" such as the one Rachel Heery cites below, would
have left the first and most widely used Repository software (GNU Eprints)
out of its comparison.

http://archives.eprints.org/index.php?action=browse#version

The answer is simple: Eprints is and always was very determinedly focused
on the goal of generating 100% OA, as soon as possible; it can of course
also do everything that the other IR softwares can do (and vice versa!),
but Eprints is focused on a very specific and urgent agenda: 100% OA
to each institution's own research article output. Those who prefer
leisurely fussing with the curation/preservation of arbitrary digital
contents of any and every description will of course have plenty to
keep them busy for decades. Eprints, in contrast, has an immediate,
already-overdue mission to fulfil, and it is becoming clearer and clearer
that -- with some prominent and invaluable exceptions -- the library
community has found other rows to hoe.

Richard has proposed that it might be time for a parting of paths between
the Generic Digital Curation/Preservation IR movement and the OA IR
movement, and he might be right. One has a diffuse, divergent goal, the
other a focused, convergent -- and urgent and immediately reachable --
goal, one that might now be hamstrung if it is subsumed under the diffuse,
divergent goal of the other.

For the details, please see Richard's article.

Stevan Harnad