RE: [ozeprints] Subject terms and repositories

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:38:48 +1100

Belinda and others

I have long held the view that the main purpose of subject
classifications in Open Access Repositories was to satisfy people other
than searchers - in other words archivists and DEST classifiers.  Let's
face facts. Almost no researcher in the world is likely to search the UQ
repository using its own search engine, except UQ researchers. They will
discover your content via OAI harvesters and gateways, or via crawlers
and search engines (highest probability). Keywords play only a very minor
role in this, and subject classifications even less. If you look at the
access logs of the UQ repository I am very confident that you will find
that the majority (>80%) of external entrants to the repository enter via
a search engine, gateway or direct link to a document. This is my
experience at UTas.

As to ASRC, its use as a primary classification serves one and only one
purpose: to satisfy DEST and ABS. One can say that because of this the
researchers know it, but this is quite clearly derivative. The rest of
the world (even our close neighbour New Zealand) knows nothing about ASRC
and if they ever see it will obviously ignore it or be irritated by such
a parochial classification and such limited vision. I only mention in
passing that ASRC is also hopeless deficient and out-of-date in
identifying many current fields of research - you and I have corresponded
on bioinformatics, e-research, metabolomics, etc before.

Repository documents ought to have a subject classification, and this
must be an internationally understood one, say LC or Dewey. This should
be standard in software releases; UQ&#8217;s Fez team please note because
you don't do this.

There is no harm in having ASRC additionally in Australia, but it must
definitely be an add-on, not a replacement. Exactly how this is done is
an implementation issue, and there are several ways to achieve the aim,
in the interests of DEST and RQF reporting. But we mustn&#8217;t tolerate
the RQF tail wagging the Open Access dog.

Arthur