Re: Does the arXiv lead to higher citations and reduced publisher downloads?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:03:22 -0500

Phil:

I think your results are very interesting, but I don't think they
have shown that the OA citation advantage (OAA) is all or mostly a
self-selection Quality Bias (QB) correlate, rather than being causal.
It is still quite plausible that the OAA is a genuine causal factor,
but that it has a bigger effect on the high quality/citation end.
That could be a fuzzy threshold effect. And at the low/zero end there
could be a lot of articles that are just so weak that they're not
going to be cited even if you ram them down people's throats! In
other words, what I've called "QA" (Quality Advantage) rather than QB
(self-selected Quality Bias) could very well still be the true causal
factor: Self-Archiving gives the *better* articles a boost -- not an
equal linear boost to all articles!

At any rate, the jury is definitely still out on the causal
components of OAA. I am still pretty convinced intuitively and
logically not only that it's causal, but that it's the biggest of the
causal factors, though I'm quite ready to believe the effect is
stronger for the better articles.

Some of the differences in the reported findings may well also be
field differences maths vs astro vs physics vs bio and, perhaps even
more importantly, differences arising from differences in overall %
OA, by field. (Surely self-selection is a less plausible component of
an OAA in a field that is 95% OA than in a field that is 5% OA.) But
to sort these out we need much bigger Ns tested across many different
fields, with different baseline %OA, and looked at within year and
within citation range.

For the apparent absence of Mike Kurtz's Early Access effect, this
*might* be an astro/math difference, or a 100%OA/30%OA difference.
Same for the finding of a much smaller download/citation correlation.

Stevan