Re: Generic Rationale and Model for University Open Access Mandate

From: Stevan Harnad <>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:46:00 +0000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Wolfgang Greller wrote:

> Can anyone tell me whether articles published in an institutional e-print
> repository count as publication in UK RAE terms?

Absolutely not! "Publication" in the UK RAE and in every other sensible
venue, means (in the case of research articles) publication in a reputable
peer-reviewed journal, not vanity self-publication.

Nor is OA self-archiving self-publication. It is access-provision --
providing supplementary access to an already-published article, in
order to maximise its usage and impact, not in order to generate a
spurious entry under "Publications" in one's CV. The place in one's
CV for unpublished papers is, as always, "Unpublished Papers."

Stevan Harnad
American Scientist Open Access Forum

Chaire de recherche du Canada Professor of Cognitive Science
Ctr. de neuroscience de la cognition Dpt. Electronics & Computer Science
Université du Québec à Montréal University of Southampton
Montréal, Québec Highfield, Southampton
Canada H3C 3P8 SO17 1BJ United Kingdom