Re: Publication? was: Re: Generic Rationale and Model for University Open Access Mandate

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:11:41 -0500

I don't disagree with anything John writes below:

(1) Yes, web-posted, unpublished papers are being read, used, cited
-- and sometimes they are even good!

(2) They can and should and are being deposited in IRs too, in
addition to the primary OA target: refereed journal articles.

(3) No, neither the RAE nor tenure/promotion committees nor journals
regard this unpublished papers as published papers. They can and
should be and are being listed in CVs and cited as unpublished papers.

Where's the point of disagreement?

If unrefereed, unpublished papers deposited in IRs are to be called
some sort of publication at all, then that sort of publication
already has a name: Vanity Press (or Self-Publication). (I prefer
"preprint" or "ms. in prep", because it has a more hopeful ring to
it, heralding things to come, like, maybe, publication!)

Chrs, Stevan