Re: Ian Gibson on open access

From: guedon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:03:18 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

All these are Harnadian assertions, not proofs.

Let me take the points one by one:

1. I agree with point one if we replace "research-users" simply by
"users".

2. I would rephrase this point as follows: "Not all researchers will be
persuaded to self-archive... etc. ; however, some will (and that will
increase the number of allies). "This comes with the territory" may mean
the same thing, but in too ambiguous a fashion to satisfy me;

3. I would rephrase this point exactly like 2.

4. Idem.

5. Idem.

6. Idem.

I begin to understand what Stevan Harnad's basic mistake is: he confuses
some ideal-typic notion of the researcher, whatever that may be, with
the variegated behaviour of researchers. perhaps a bit of classic social
science readings, such as Max Weber would help...

OA requires political changes in various kinds of institutions. To
achieve political change, alliances are needed, not exclusions.

But thank you all the same as it allows to put the differences between
us at their exact level: as all can see, it would take Stevan Harnad
very little to agree with me; he would just have to abandon some
idealized version of "the researcher" and simply accept that they form a
motley crew.

Best,

jc