Re: Ian Gibson on open access

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 09:35:21 +1000

Lesley

Yes it will help, as do all supply-side interventions. For example, see
our ego-soothing (and useful) statistics generated on papers in our
repository http://eprints.comp.utas.edu.au:81/es/index.php?action=show_detail_date;range=
w (also used in New Zealand, South Africa and the USA).

However, all such interventions have but a minor effect, unless
accompanied by a mandate. They simply don&#8217;t work on
non-participants. I have evidence of this in Australia &#8211; for
example the University of Queensland has pulled out every voluntary stop
and are still at 15% or less of their research output.

However, if you have a mandate, the increasing number of depositors
suddenly like to find lots of reasons to like what they are doing. This
is our experience in Australia, in the Queensland University of
Technology. See
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue11_4/sale/index.html.

So, the message remains as it has for several years: Each university
should have a mandatory deposit policy (aka requirement to deposit) as
the top priority. Every effort should be made to put this into place
first. Whether the deposit is open access or restricted access can be
left to the researcher or the library to decide. Secondly, once you have
such a requirement and not before, put effort into making the researchers
like doing it. It pays off in making the transition to 100% deposit
faster. I am doing work on this transition now (as yet unpublished).

Arthur Sale

Professor of Computing (Research)

University of Tasmania