Re: Ian Gibson on open access

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:26:15 +1000

Heather

Let's by all means use whatever we have to in order to get mandates in place
and convince senior executives to pass the policies, but also let us not
fool ourselves that these same strategies will work with the authors. All
the evidence is that they don't. There is absolutely no evidence that they
have ever worked in anything other than a very minor way.

I'm sorry to have to belabour the point but all the wonderful proselytizing
that you can think of makes no difference at all to non-participants. It
runs off like water off a duck's back.

Get the mandate by fair means or foul. Don't waste your institution's time
and money convincing researchers (apart from key decision-makers) until you
have one. Then and only then go for your life and enjoy the plaudits.

Arthur Sale