Cognitive Science Wiki

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 23:20:52 +0100

Posted with permission

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 20:34:26 +0100 (BST)
From: Stevan Harnad <harnad AT ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: Steven Sloman <Steven_Sloman AT brown.edu>

> Hi, I've been putting together a wiki on causality in cognitive
> science. I'd like to give people access to as much published work as
> possible through the wiki. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts
> about the best way to accomplish that legally. My current intention
> is the following:
>
> 1. Use DOIs when they are available and working although they
> frequently appear to be unavailable.

Why just DOIs? URLs will do, where the paper exists and has one, for the
time being.

> 2. Rather than making published papers available directly on the web
> page, I'll insert pointers to the papers on the author's web page
> whenever possible.

Of course. Why harvest the full texts. It's motre complicated and
unnecessary.

> I'd be obliged for any thoughts about these or other ideas for making
> as many papers as easily accessible as possible.

The level of spontaneous self-archiving of papers today on the web as
around 15%. The only way this will reach 100% is if researchers'
institutions and research funders mandate self-archiving -- and they
are, and will, but far still too slowly.

You can accelerate this by encouraging the authors of the papers you
want to cover in your wiki to self-archive them in their Institutional
Repositories (IRs). http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
http://archives.eprints.org/

You can of course also link to anything you find in CogPrints,
Psycprints, Citeseer, Google Scholar, OAIster, PubMed Central,
or any of the 600+ IRs in http://archives.eprints.org/