Re: From ROAR to DOAR

From: Millington Peter <Peter.Millington_at_NOTTINGHAM.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:49:24 +0100

Hi,

As part of the OpenDOAR project we've been looking at OA repositories' policies, and trying to harvest the details using the OAI-PMH 'Identify' verb. We did this for all the repositories listed in OpenDOAR (www.opendoar.org) that had an OAI Base URL. We had problems harvesting about 9% of repositories, for one reason or another. Two notable cases were ArXiv, which actively excludes requests from robots (unless they are on their white list), and Digital Commons repositories, where OAI-PMH requests are deliberately 'throttled' - taking ten times longer to respond than other sites. In both cases, this has been done to ensure that interactive end-user sessions are not degraded if robots attempt to crawl the entire repository (as they are wont to do).

It's also worth pointing out that only a third of OA repositories seem to have declared policies on re-use of metadata, full items, etc - or at least policies that are retrievable via OAI-PMH.

I gave a presentation on this exercise in a workshop at the recent CRIS 2006 conference in Bergen. Further details at http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/documents/BergenPresentation20060512Handouts.ppt

Dr. Peter Millington
SHERPA Technical Development Officer
Information Services