Re: Royal Society Offers Open Choice

From: Jan Velterop <openaccess_at_BTINTERNET.COM>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:32:00 +0100

I'm glad Stevan agrees with me on so many points. The only thing that
seems to separate us is the judgement that an unfunded self-archiving
mandate carries an appreciable risk of destroying the valuable system
of formal peer-reviewed journals to communicate and preserve
scientific findings. Stevan thinks there is no such risk. I think
there is, and that it is a wholly unnecessary risk. My motive is to
come to a solid, stable, economically sustainable, and reliable
method to ensure open access to the formal research journal literature.

I'm also glad that Stevan is a psychologist and not an engineer. The
'empirical' evidence on which he bases his no-risk hypothesis is
comparable to the evidence that a layer of 10 centimeters of snow
doesn't cause a roof to collapse and that there has been at least 10
years with no more than 10 centimeters of snow on any given day. He
would construct a roof that can deal with 10 centimeters of snow,
only to see it collapse when that one night comes when there is
snowfall of 25 centimeters. He would say "no problem, we'll just
rebuild the hall".

I'm also glad that he is not in charge of fire prevention. His
empirical evidence from establishing that an unsupervised toddler who
lit a whole box of matches and yet somehow didn't burn the house down
would lead him to happily hand out matches to all toddlers, since
lighting matches is a valuable learning experience for them and there
is no proof whatsoever that any houses might be burnt down. And if
they do he would simply say "no problem, we'll just rebuild them".

Stevan asks: "Can we agree to focus on money only if and when there
is objective evidence that immediate OA, through immediate self-
archiving mandates, is actually starting to make someone lose money?"

No. I'm afraid I cannot agree. First of all, I'm not focussing on
money. I'm focussing on a solid, stable, economically sustainable,
and reliable method to ensure open access to the formal research
journal literature, which I do not accept that Stevan's desired
mandates in their current formulation would bring. Secondly, would we
allow the engineer to wait for objective evidence, i.e. the collapse
of a roof, before using higher specifications with ample safety
margins? Is it necessary to wait for such objective evidence? Would
we wait for the objective evidence of a house burning down before
making sure that matches cannot be reached by toddlers?

Jan Velterop