Re: Open Choice is a Trojan Horse for Open Access Mandate

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:24:38 -0400

Agreeing with Stevan,

I do not think that anyone, including the publishers,
 intend Open Choice to be an substitute for Green OA, or
to delay Green OA. Like OA Journals in general, it is one of
the desirable projects that can not possibly provide significant
immediate help for the immediate problem.

But even for those primarily interested only in the plans for immediate results,
the discussion about OA Choice still has the
positive feature of increasing awareness about OA, and about the need for OA.
The advertising is general, directed primarily to the authors, who are the group
that many think will benefit the most, but who clearly still need awareness,
and action

If they decide to pay the
 money, an OA repository or index will still include the metadata and a link to the
publisher, where the article will be available to everyone. As they
come to know the advantages of OA, they will also come to know that they
cannot spend so much money for every article, and will see the
advantages of deposit in a repository.

For those interested in OA Journals, the unsettled question is whether
Open Choice would

a./ accelerate the transtion to OA journals by letting the
publishers experiment

b/ retard the transition to OA Journals by giving publishers a
exceedingly long period to experiment before actually converting a journal
altogether

c/ fail altogether,, because not enough authors would be willing to pay
the money--and thus be the Trojan Horse for killing Gold OA.
It has in the past not been prudent to automatically accept everyone's public
statement.

The much publicised intentions to reduce prices because of the savings from
the OA Choice is also not a short term help. As Sally recently reminded us,
it doesn't happen immediately: as i see it, it takes at least 3 years--the
experience from 2006 will affect prices set in 2007 for the 2008
subscription year. And it will be many years before prices reduce enpigh to
to help anyone. (And we will still have only partical OA for yet more years to
come. Perhaps the NAS is more realistic when it says it will
be using the revenues to slow the increases in prices and publication fees.
In any case, we need OA for now, 2006 and 2007, not 20??.
And this is not the place to discuss these question in detail.

Any supporter of OA who relies upon OAChoice may eventually see a
world of 100% OA journals -- or perhaps his children will.
But if they rely ONLY on OAChoice, there will be thousands of
authors who will be deprived on their benefit.

OA does not mean OA only for the rich.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University