Re: Definition of Open Access

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:13:25 +0100

Dear Matt,

I certainly don't want to compete for priority for such a banal thing
as the name coined to designate toll-free online access, but I am
surprised by your suggestion that PLoS or BMC had coined OA before
BOAI! Jan Velterop of BMC and Mike Eisen of PLoS were there at the
Budapest meeting in December 2001, and part of the drafting group that
coined the term "Open Access" in the December-February drafting period,
but I don't recall any suggestion that the term already existed and
was in use. (That doesn't mean it wasn't, of course; indeed, it's almost
certain that others -- including electricity grid and telephone companies,
had been using "open access" in other senses before.)

I have checked my archive of the drafting of the BOAI, and I note that Peter
already used the term "Open access" in his first draft of December 6 2001,
4 days after the Budapest meeting. I also vaguely remember that we
deliberately chose "Open Access Initiative" in order to resonate with the
"Open Archives Initiative," which had already generated the all-important
OAI metadata harvesting protocol, and the very notion of interoperable
"Open Archives" that, along with the Internet itself, is what made OA
possible.

There is also an archive of the moment when the Open Archives Initiative
first settled on "Open Archives" (in place of "UPS") in 1999 (the term
was coined by Herbert van de Sompel).

Peter: Do you have a better recollection of how we settled on OA, and when?
Was it perhaps during the Budapest meeting itself? (Perhaps Jan and Mike
can recall?)

It's probably of some (minor) historic interest how "OA" came to be called
OA.

Chrs, Stevan