Re: Book on Open Access (N. Jacobs, Ed., Chandos 2006)

From: Pablo Ortellado <paort_at_UOL.COM.BR>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:23:07 -0300

Dear Stevan,
I was only CCed to this email but I would like to comment on your
argument. I think that the flexibility that you suggested is very fine
for someone who sympathizes with Open Access, but not very fine for
someone who is on the front line defending Open Access. You are probably
right about the articles in scientific periodicals being strategically
more central than books (although that may not be true for some
disciplines in the Humanities, specially in Europe or Latin America) -
but it is certainly not strategic to publish a book about Open Access
without Open Access to it. This is something that our adversaries will
most certainly use against us - probably saying that even pro-OA authors
agree that the editorial filter offered by traditional publishing is
essential to providing reliability to academic articles etc.
Best,
Pablo Ortellado