Re: GNU EPrints: "World's Best Practice"

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:34:53 +0100

> A common query I get from my researchers when asked to deposit their
> bibliographic data in our information system is if they can simply upload a
> Word file or PDF file of their publication lists. I do not imagine you have
> created (or know of) a program to accomplish this? I would very much like to
> see an example of a solution to this issue.

Of course, when hand-depositing the metadata into GNU EPrints, the file for
the text itself can be uploaded from an existing URL.

But perhaps what you are asking is whether the entire deposit can be
automated, without hand-deposit, by bulk-importing from an online publication
list?

In principle, yes, as long as the essential metadata (authors, title,
journalname, date) are also provided for each item, as offline data
supplied to the bulk importer. (It is also possible to export from EPrints
to generate a CV or publication list.) The correct and full answer can
be provided by the EPrints technical list: eprints-tech_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk

Stevan Harnad