Re: Search Engine for Repositories Only?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:58:08 +0100

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Philip Hunter wrote:

> Re: the OAI PMH architecture - the division into data and service providers
> was originally just that: a nice simple explanation of what was going on.
> Service providers add third-party services to simple data provision.

Still sounds good to me!

> All of which was up to the community to think about and to develop. There
> was no assumption that ultimately search and browse would happen through one
> subdividable 'global' super-aggregation of records, which you are suggesting
> as the most efficient approach.

No, let 1001 browsers compete: But they should complete via superior
functionality, not via subtotal coverage!

> On Google, it is worth pointing out that it doesn't do harvesting. In
> principle or otherwise. It _indexes_. The difference is subtle, but
> important for understanding what it can (and can't) do.

Google does not harvest OAI metadata. That is true (though it could, and, I
predict, Google Scholar will, sooner or later). But as important as harvesting
metadata is the fact that Google *does* harvest (and invert) full-texts!
That, after all, is half of the miracle of Google (PageRank, ranking hits by
recursive link counts and weights being the other half).

There is no reason for OAI to duplicate the effort of harvesting
and inverting full-texts (at least not right now). Hence a strategic
collaboration with google would be beneficial to both OA/OAI and Google
Scholar at this stage of play. It would give OA/OAI the power of full-text
boolean search over all of OA/OAI space, and it would help provide Google
Scholar with more OA content.

Stevan