Optimal OA IR Preprint and Postprint Deposit and Withdrawal Policy

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:03:41 +0100

The EPrints software *does* allow deposited papers to be removed instantly
by the author/depositor.

Whether it is the author/depositor who can remove the paper or a
mediator/moderator/approver is a matter of individual IR policy, not
of software capability. It is merely a permissions parameter-setting on
the software.

At a time when IRs' problem is not removal but deposit (IRs are mostly
empty), I strongly recommend that departments and institutions *drop*
the foolish and unnecessary mediator/moderator/approver phase, and set
the parameter so that authorised institutional users (i.e., all employed
researcher/authors) can deposit/approve and delete/approve their own
papers, instantaneously.

There is no need to make the simple deposit process seem complicated
or threatening by interposing a moderator into the deposit and removal
procedure.

(If it is felt that there is a need for vetting deposits, let the deposits
be *monitored*, and let the deposits [not the removals] be over-ruled by
the monitor, as and when needed (plagiarism, libel, quackery), *after*
the deposit by the authorised institutional researcher/author, not before
[when it would needlessly hold up the deposit and frustrate authors who
need encouragement today -- not the opposite, with foolish, arbitrary
rules and delays].)

As to the worry about withdrawal in general: We are talking here about
(i) unrefereed preprints and (ii) refereed postprints of published
articles. The distinction needs to be borne clearly in mind, in setting
IR policy:

    UNREFEREED PREPRINTS: If you want authors to be willing to deposit
    their unrefereed *preprints* at all, you *must* allow them to remove
    them at will, instantaneously.

    (It is a good and useful author practice to self-archive preprints:
    it establishes priority, it elicits corrective peer feedback, it
    creates a historic record of stages of development of a work, it
    accelerates and increases research impact and progress. But if the
    institution imposes a foolishly oppressive removal policy, authors
    will simply be discouraged from taking the useful step of depositing
    their unrefereed preprints in the first place).

    PEER-REVIEWED POSTPRINTS: Here the *fact* is that 99% of the time
    authors will never want to remove them. They are published. The
    postprint is merely a *supplement* to the published version, for those
    would-be users who cannot afford access to the published version. The
    published version (at the publisher's website) cannot be withdrawn;
    so withdrawing the access-supplement in the author's own IR is in
    general pointless.

    The (two) rare cases when it might be necessary to remove a postprint
    are these (the second turns out to be bogus too):

         (1) if an error is discovered in the author's self-archived
         version, and the author does not wish to just add an updated
         version, to be tagged as the latest version, but to remove
         the erroneous version too: this is reasonable, and can and
         should be facilitated by the IR policy and parameter-settings,
         not deterred; the original URL will become null, with a redirect
         to the new version;

        (2) if the author has a (probably unnecessary) panic-attack about
        copyright after deposit: but here the removal should be *strongly*
        discouraged, because downgrading *access* -- from Open Access
        to Closed Access -- is instead the sensible option. Then the
        metadata remain visible, the full-text remains in the archive (but
        invisible) and the author can individually authorise eprints on a
        case by case basis to be emailed by the IR software to would-be
        users who request it semi-automatically via the EMAIL-EPRINT
        button (already implemented on both the GNU EPrints and the
        DSpace IR software).

        http://www.eprints.org/news/features/request_button.php

Stevan Harnad
AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
A complete Hypermail archive of the ongoing discussion of providing
open access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2005)
is available at:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/
        To join or leave the Forum or change your subscription address:
        Post discussion to:

UNIVERSITIES: If you have adopted or plan to adopt an institutional
policy of providing Open Access to your own research article output,
please describe your policy at:
        http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php

UNIFIED DUAL OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
    BOAI-1 ("green"): Publish your article in a suitable toll-access journal
            http://romeo.eprints.org/
OR
    BOAI-2 ("gold"): Publish your article in a open-access journal if/when
            a suitable one exists.
            http://www.doaj.org/
AND
    in BOTH cases self-archive a supplementary version of your article
            in your institutional repository.
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
            http://archives.eprints.org/
            http://openaccess.eprints.org/