Re: Fwd: List of Hybrid OA publishers?

From: Hubbard Bill <Bill.Hubbard_at_NOTTINGHAM.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:57:09 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to correct a misleading impression made by a recent
posting. Some of the information on hybrid journals and publishers'
policies which Stevan Harnad quotes me as providing is not what I wrote.

As Stevan Harnad said, the RoMEO colour codes have been changed from
those in my original email: but in addition, the numbers of hybrid
journals produced by the publisher have been added to my text. Some of
these figures are incorrect.

An edited summary of my original email is as follows:

* * * * * * *
<SNIP> . . . the introduction of such a hybrid model gives a commercial
disincentive to allow immediate archiving - or even author-version
archiving at all - but the numbers of publishers who have introduced
hybrid systems actually retreating from a GREEN position is quite
interesting.

The following publishers listed on RoMEO have introduced a hybrid
journal programme:

* OUP
OUP introduced embargoes at the same time as their hybrid programme and
dropped from GREEN to YELLOW

* Blackwell
Blackwell introduced embargoes at the same time as their hybrid
programme and dropped from GREEN to YELLOW

* CUP
CUP have launched their hybrid programme and still explicitly allow
author's version immediate archiving and then the archiving of the
publishers pdf after 12 months. They remain GREEN

* Elsevier
Elsevier introduced a hybrid programme and still allow unembargoed
author-version archiving. They remain GREEN

* Springer
Springer introduced a hybrid programme and still allow unembargoed
author-version archiving. They remain GREEN

* Wiley
Wiley have not followed up their hybrid announcement with any
restriction on archiving that we know of. They remain GREEN.

* Royal Society
The Royal Society introduced a hybrid programme. They have a statement
which implies that they have withdrawn their archiving rights:
http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1334
"What is your policy on copyright assignment?
Our policy is that the author retains copyright, but must provide us
with a 'licence to publish'. This agreement allows the authors to post
their own postprint of the accepted article on an institutional or
subject-based repository 12 months after publication. Authors
participating in EXiS Open Choice will be able to post the final
published version on repositories as soon as the article is published. "

However, they retain their exisiting CTAs on-line, which are what are
signed by authors. We have written for clarification. In the meantime,
they remain GREEN

* BMJ
The BMJ press release announced that:
"authors will now be permitted to deposit their version of an article in
their institutions' or a subject based repository immediately on
acceptance, subject to a six month embargo from the date of print
publication before making it free to all. "

This sounds as though it were a new permissive announcement as opposed
to a retreat from their previous GREEN position. . . .
We checked with the BMJ (the journal) and they still allow unembargoed
author-version archiving. We are waiting to hear whether BMJ (the
publishers and all their journals) are going to insist on the letter of
their Press Release and retreat from their GREEN position.

Until we hear to the contrary, we will go on the available CTA, which is
what is signed, rather than a Press Release - so they remain GREEN
. . .

So, out of 8 publishers introducing hybrid programmes, only Blackwell
and OUP have also withdrawn archiving rights, but the Royal Society
looks like it may do, while the BMJ is uncertain.

* * *

Regards,

Bill

--