Re: Open access jeremiads, archivangelism and self-archiving mandates

From: guedon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:55:09 -0400

Thank you for this extremely good summary of your position, Stevan.

         My only problem is that concrete examples provide necessary, but
         not sufficient, conditions for mandating.

         There remains the hard political work beyond all this. There,
         all the elements you just outlined becomes powerful arguments
         and should be used. But alas, even more needs to be done, such
         as alliances, acceptance of viewpoints coming from a variety of
         actors, etc.

         How best to do this political work and make it succeed is the
         burning question that remains.

         But we are all working at it.

         Best,

         jcg