Re: Trojan Horse for Open Access Mandates

From: Jan Velterop <openaccess_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:04:33 +0000

Your increasingly shrill metaphores are not what worries me, Stevan. They
are not unusual in your messages. What is more worrisome is your tendency
to put words into my mouth (under the guise of "reconstructing my
argument"). Refutation of words that *you* put into my mouth is not quite
the same as refutation of my actual comments. Where, for instance, do I
"speak of catastrophic cancellations"?

What divides us is not that you are "addressing the problem of *research
accessibility*" and I am not, because I do, too. What divides us is that
you focus on the means (self-archiving being considered "an end in
itself"), and I focus on the goal, which may even go beyond open access,
as open access itself is just a means to achieve the maximum insight and
knowledge contribution from the scientific research process and its world
wide sharing.

I'm fine with an open access mandate. I've suggested that funders
mandating open access support their mandates by making explicit that
publishing is an integral part of doing research and thus that the cost
of publishing is an integral part of the cost of doing research. How is
that "a Trojan horse for open access mandates"? Projection, perhaps, from
someone who has advocated for years the use of self-archiving, initially
as "a subversive proposal" when he was still open and honest about it.?

Self-archiving is perhaps a quick-and-dirty for achieving open access. I
do not deny that a quick-and-dirty may have some tactical attractions,
but I do not accept it as an "end in itself" or a sustainable solution.
We can do much better than that.

Jan Velterop