Re: OA Progress in India

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <subbiah_a_at_YAHOO.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:31:35 +0100

Dear Stevan and friends:

NIT-R will never overtake IISc for the simple resaon
it is essentially an undergraduate engineering college
with a small Masters and doctoral programme!

IISc is a behomoth with mostly doctoral programmes in
a variety of science and engineering fields with a
history of 75 years.

Mr Muthu Madhan, the NIT-R librarian, was an assistant
librarian at MSSRF till a few years ago, and he
attended one of the two three-day workshops on OA
(with emphasis on EPrints) conducted by Leslie Carr,
Leslie Chan, D K Sahu and TB Rajashekar. He was one of
the first to set up an archive. We must also recognise
the director of NIT-R who could immediately see the
value of OA and persuaded his faculty to agree to a
policy of mandating OA for faculty and student
research publications.

Best wishes.

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]