Re: Future UK RAEs to be Metrics-Based

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 01:07:56 +0100

Fytton Rowland is absolutely right. It would be *extremely* bad and
extremely foolish if the current RAE-reform juggernaut continued to veer
mindlessly toward prior-funding as the mother-of-all-metrics. I hope
clearer heads will prevail, and that the RAE will use its wise decision
to scrap panel review in favour of metrics in order to develop a rich
set of candidate metrics, adapted to each discipline, rather than to
abandon measurement and prediction altogether for and opt instead for
self-fulfilling prophecy and the Matthew Effect that would result from
relying solely or mainly on the prior-funding metric.

Stevan Harnad