Re: Future UK RAEs to be Metrics-Based

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:33:30 +0100

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Stephen J Bensman wrote:

> I should like to point out that quantitative bibliometric measures have
> usually not been found to be applicable in the humanities.

The question at hand is a specific and purely empirical one: Is there a
significant and sizeable correlation between RAE ranking, as currently
determined by the RAE panels, and citation counts?

So far, the answer, for every discipline tested to date (including several among
the humanities) has been: yes.

> First, despite plans to do so, ISI never developed a JCR for the A&HCI.

Regrettable, but OA self-archiving mandates will remedy that.

> Second, both the
> 1981 assessment of US research-doctorate programs by the American Council
> on Education, etc., and the 1993 assessment of these programs by National
> Research Council rejected using publication and citation counts for the
> humanities.

Then the question is: Did they reject it for good reasons? Did they try, and fail
to get numbers that were proportional to what they were trying to evaluate? Or
did they just not try?

> The 1993 assessment substituted faculty awards for these
> measures. In general, the humanities do not conform closely to typical
> bibliometric distributions, being more random and scattered.

The empiricial question is: Are citation counts correlated with other measures of
research quality/importance/impact in the humanities (including peer evaluation)?

> This has generally been found to be the case in library use studies.

This is not about library use, but about research use, by researchers, and, in
particular these days: online use.

> My own
> observation has been that, whereas variance in the sciences is due to
> accepted "paradigms," such variance as there is in the humanities is due to
> intellectual "fads."

No matter: Is there a correlation between peer judgments of value and citation
counts (and other metrics)?

> I am afraid that one is reduced in the humanities to
> either subjective evaluations or the acceptance of the subjective
> evaluations of others. There are thankfully some things in this world not
> reducible to quantitative laws.

Deciding whether or not to use and cite a piece of work is also a "subjective
judgment" (although the outcome of the use may not be!). The empirical question
remains one about correlation: Is there a correlation between citation counts and
subjective evaluations.

Stevan Harnad