Re: Technical report on Open Source Repositories

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:52:03 +0100

This is the most detailed technical evaluation of repository software that
I have seen. It is not a vanity parade, but had a real purpose: "To choose
a system that can aggregate published metadata and offer a bureau/hosting
service referred to here as The Hosted Solution and the National (New
Zealand) Hub."

The report evaluates EPrints, DSpace and Fedora in a series of categories.
So which won, if the report could be said to concede such a prize? Well,
Fedora looks like the recommendation. But note also how it goes on to
conclude the case for EPrints:

"EPrints is the best candidate for a self-configuring solution for
institutions wanting to set up and host their own repository. Publication
to the national network would be accommodated through the OAI harvester at
the national hub retrieving the metadata from these institutions."

Probably just as we would put it ourselves, and even-handed enough to defy
easy headlines but to justify wider awareness and consideration of the report.

Steve Hitchcock
EPrints Community Manager
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865
Join the EPrints Community to make the most of your repository
http://www.eprints.org/community/
EPrints Community is supported by JISC and is an EPrints Services
initiative http://www.eprints.org/services/sales/