Re: Future UK RAEs to be Metrics-Based

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:07:49 +0100

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, David Goodman wrote:

> If X publishes a project chopped up into 4 short papers at about the
> same time, if I'm working in the field I'll cite them all.

(0) I can only repeat: if we want to give higher weight to average citations
than total citations, light-weight papers can be down-weighted.

> It is usual in the US for a tenure committee... to
> limit the number of papers submitted...
> so they don't have to read them all...
> they really want to see the best work

(1) This is about UK national RAE, for departments, not US tenure review,
for individuals.

(2) This is about replacing RAE panel re-review by metrics. There is no
earthly reason *metrics* should be restricted to four papers (or
restricted in any way: the way to constrain metrics is via weightings).

> the fewer papers, the lower the publication
> costs, no matter who... pays... I like...
> OAJournals [because] they for the first time provide a real
> incentive to publish in larger chunks. From a large grant, 5 papers a year
> at $3000 isn't much, but 20 would pay for another post-doc.

(3) This is about OA self-archiving, not OA journals, and about RAE
submission via IRs.

Stevan Harnad