Re: Follow up of EC-commissioned "Study on the economic and technical evolution of the scientific publication markets in Europe"

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 20:50:52 -0400

I am glad to agree with what I think to be the core of Stevan's position:
If the publishing industry can not provide actual 100% OA, then
it is indeed time for us academics to do it by ourselves.

But what gives Stevan the idea that we will do so? Consider the
experience at the NIH. At the other end, recall that CERN, with an
absolute requirement. can not get beyond 90%, even with the librarians
doing the work when the researchers do not. Consider that even the
strongest of the mandates, the Wellcome, accepts a six month embargo.

We know that responsible scientific workers can prepare a paper for
archive-only publication as carefully as they would for conventional
publication. We know they can solicit the opinion of colleagues every
bit as effectively as responsible peer-review. We know they can organize
such archives securely and usable for both the authors and the readers.

But what is the proportion of scientists who want and need to get a paper
published, but afterwards do not really care if anyone at all ever reads it?

Authors could do it themselves, but will they? Or is that too a
speculative vision? Stevan himself calls it only an "hope."

Authors will only publish OA if OA is the single possible way
to publish. One way is 100% funding of OA journals,
which will make the publishers very happy, for it guarantees the
continuing survival of even the lowest-quality journal. The other
is the replacement of the current journal publishing system altogether.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library